gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1617 Posts in 535 Topics by 779 Members - Latest Member: rhoronjeff@comcast.net December 05, 2022, 02:13:23 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Linux  |  Is there a "makedepend" that works with the Absoft compilers under Linux?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is there a "makedepend" that works with the Absoft compilers under Linux?  (Read 6145 times)

skip_kovacs

Hi .   The title pretty much says it all...  Does the Absoft compiler family have an application that will parse Fortran source code to create makefile dependencies?  In some unix-varients it's "mkdepend" (e.g., the SGI-Irix worked great for C, C++ and Fortran), or "makedepend", which in Linux appears to only work for languages other than Fortran, although the GCC folks say the current gfortran development version, 4.6 will support this.

I'm currently running (command-line driven) Absoft 32-bit F95 11.0.4 under Fedora 12 Linux on a 686 workstation with 4 GB of memory.

As things stand now, running makedepend will clear out all the source code dependencies in my makefiles, causing me to have to re-do them by hand or to recover them from backups.

Thanks in advance.
Skip Kovacs

I'm a newbie poster but have been programming in Fortran since the mid-1970's, first on HP machines, then Vax/VMS, then SGI-Iris, and now Linux.

forumadmin

• Administrator
All Absoft compilers provide an application called amakedepend in the bin directory. It is intended to be used from the Absoft IDE, AbsoftTools. However, it could be run separately. It generates a makefile.

skip_kovacs

Thanks very much!  Is there any documentation on how to use it from the command line, like a man page? 
I checked the Fx3 User Guide, the Fortran Linux User guide, the F95 Reference, and the F77 Reference, doing a simple search for "depend" in Adobe Reader, and had no joy.

Thanks in advance, again.

Skip

forumadmin

• Administrator
No, there's no documentation on using it outside of AbsoftTools. It will echo its usage if executed without arguments. However, I'm told it was never intended to be run outside of the Absoft development environment. I would start up AbsoftTools, start a new project, add all of your files to it, and then build it.

skip_kovacs

Thanks.  Running amakedepend without arguments did give useage, and the arguments look straightforward. 
Since I'm pretty "command line driven", I may try that anyway.  But if that doesn't work, then I'll try the Absoft Tools.
Thanks again.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Linux  |  Is there a "makedepend" that works with the Absoft compilers under Linux?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx