gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1617 Posts in 535 Topics by 779 Members - Latest Member: rhoronjeff@comcast.net December 01, 2022, 06:03:15 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  AWE application debugger standard output
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AWE application debugger standard output  (Read 880 times)

irekzawadzki

AWE application debugger standard output
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:41:06 PM »
I have a Fortran code that contains multiple "type *" and "write" statements.  I can run it either as a Terminal or AWE application.

When I run Absoft debugger of my Terminal application, all output from the type and write statements is immediately visible in Windows console window.  However, when I run debugger for the AWE version, the output seems to be buffered and it only shows up in the AWE window when my code encounters either "pause" or "read" from standard I/O statement.  Placing breakpoints does not help.

Consider the following code as an example:

1         type *, 'var1,2,3 = ',var1,var2,var3
2         type *, 'var4,5,6 = ',var4,var5,var6
3         TYPE *, 'Enter filename'
4         READ 110, NCH, FNAME
5 110   FORMAT (Q, A)
6          I = I + 1

If I place breakpoints in line 2,3 & 4 the printouts from lines 1 through 3 will not appear in my AWE GUI window until I reach breakpoint in line 4 and click continue.

Is there any setting in Absoft debugger I to force flushing the output buffer as soon as the line of code is executed?

forumadmin

• Administrator
Re: AWE application debugger standard output
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 10:07:29 AM »
There is currently no setting in the Fx3 debugger that will automatically flush the output written to a AWE window. The debugger does not have any specific knowledge of AWE programs. However, there is an impovement in the area scheduled for release in upcoming service packs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:57:40 PM by forumadmin »

forumadmin

• Administrator
Re: AWE application debugger standard output
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »
Debugging AWE applications has been enhanced in the 21.0.2 service pack for Absoft Pro Fortran 2021 and in the 22.0.1 service pack for Absoft Pro Fortran 2022.  After installation of the appropriate service pack, a new AWE Debug Flush option is available in the Target page of the AbsoftTools Project Options dialog for AWE projects. Checking this option will cause every WRITE or TYPE statement to be flushed to the AWE output window as it executes while running under the debugger.

Note: using this option will cause a noticible slow down in output to the AWE window when the program is run at full speed under the debugger.  Starting a new debugging session after turning off the AWE Debug Flush option will restore normal output performance.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  AWE application debugger standard output

gfxgfx
gfx gfx