gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1566 Posts in 517 Topics by 752 Members - Latest Member: zaikunzhang October 28, 2021, 12:48:25 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  Installing and Running 2 different ( v7.5 and v11.0) Absoft Compiler in 1 PC
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Installing and Running 2 different ( v7.5 and v11.0) Absoft Compiler in 1 PC  (Read 4982 times)

Dino Vitale

I am switching from VAbsoft version 7.5 to 11.04.
This task resulted to be very time consuming.
I would like to run the old version for keep work going, while implementing the new version.
Is it possible?
If yes what I have to care about?
Consider that, before installing the new v11.0 Absoft version I formatted the system.
So I am in the place to install the old version on a system with the new one.
Thank for the help

Dino Vitale

forumadmin

• Administrator
There won't be any conflicts between the 2 versions other than file associations. Depending on how you install and what file associations you allow, double clicking on a Fortran source file will open only a specific version of AbsoftTools.

V7.5 should install on current Windows versions, but it's not something we test or can support.

Dino Vitale

Thank,
this will help.
Running v75 on actual Windows version is not a problem since I did it untill I got the new version (1 month ago).
Thank again
Dino Vitale

Mike Linacre

Dino, I too have an early version of Absoft FORTRAN and the current version both in operation. The only conflicts between them have been with batch compiles. So, if you use the Absoft Editor interface to compile the current version, all should go well :-)

wpihui

Dino, I too have an early version of Absoft FORTRAN and the current version both in operation. The only conflicts between them have been with batch compiles. So, if you use the Absoft Editor interface to compile the current version, all should go well :-)
hi Mike,you know there is any way to open absoft7 project file(.gui file) with absoft 11's atools.exe? I tried, but it sees I can not open it.
is there a tool or way to convert absoft7 project to absoft11 project? thanks.
-Brian

Mike Linacre

Brian, don't know of a way to jump from Absoft 7 to Absoft 11. I build my Absoft 11 projects from scratch, discovering about the many changes (documented and undocumented) to compiler options and source code along the way.

Two suggestions:
1. When you can't get something to work correctly, construct a mini-project with only that one thing and tweak it until it works. Sometimes I had to single step the debugger through the code in order to discover where the Absoft 11 code failed, and then to verify that the replacement code succeeded. This is definitely easier when there are only a few lines of code in the mini-project!

2. PowerGREP (or similar) is a great tool for making the same change to many source files in a controlled way. For instance, i = loc("a"//"b") can lead to failure in Absoft 11 because temporary memory for "a"//"b" may be reallocated before the value i is used. So we need to globallly replace code like: i = loc("a"//"b") with code like:  holdab = "a"//"b" ; i = loc(holdab)

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  Installing and Running 2 different ( v7.5 and v11.0) Absoft Compiler in 1 PC

gfxgfx
gfx gfx