gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1619 Posts in 535 Topics by 781 Members - Latest Member: chekyl43 January 27, 2023, 03:15:38 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Macintosh  |  speed with 8-processor Mac Pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: speed with 8-processor Mac Pro  (Read 7119 times)

karose

speed with 8-processor Mac Pro
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
I just purchased a new Mac Pro and tried the Intel fortran and Absoft fortran compilers on the same exact code.  The speed in running the code with Absoft is much slower and when I look it seems to use 1 processor 99% of the time. The intel compiler makes more use of the 8 processors.

Perhaps I am not using the correct (optimal) flags on the Absoft.  I read to use -apo; are there others I should use as well?  Maybe -O3?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kenny

Jeremy

Re: speed with 8-processor Mac Pro
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
With Absoft Pro Fortran v10.1 for Linux 32/64, Windows and Intel Macs, "-apo" is our only built-in auto parallelizer.  However, "-apo" only applies to loops.  If your program does not have many loops or if the loops can not be parallelized then "-apo" will not do as much for that program.  "-apo" will use as many cores as the computer has in to offer.  If "-apo" does not do as much as you want, then you should take a look at VAST.  VAST is a preprocessor that attempts to parallelize your whole program.

http://www.absoft.com/Absoft_VAST.htm

"-O4" is an optimization.  Same goes for "-speed_math=9" or "-speed_math=10".  Both, "-O4" and "-speed_math=x" (9 or 10 being faster is dependent on the program), options should always be used for your final program.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:28:04 AM by Jeremy »

karose

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
Jeremy

Thanks for the reply.  I will purchase VAST.  But a quick look showed VAST-F Vector and VAST-F Parallel.

Do I purchase the Parallel only or both?  I can see how to us the parallel - pf95.  But can I use both somehow?

I have a brand new Mac Pro.

Thanks

Kenny

Jeremy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
Crescent Bay Software's VAST-F Vector is currently only supported on Power Processors.

For Absoft Pro Fortran v10/v10.1 on Intel Macs all you will need VAST-F Parallel.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Macintosh  |  speed with 8-processor Mac Pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx