gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1562 Posts in 515 Topics by 750 Members - Latest Member: rickl July 24, 2021, 10:50:16 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  Nothing on execute command
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Nothing on execute command  (Read 2330 times)

Jules.Thibault

Nothing on execute command
« on: May 05, 2017, 04:13:06 PM »
Dear Users:

I am new to this forum. I have made few new project in Fortran which I was able to compile and execute successfully. I did the same thing for another program that worked with the same software on another computer. It built correctly but upon clicking on the execute button, nothing happens. It just does nothing and does not gibe an error message. Any suggestions to solve this problem. Thank you in advance.

Jules

mecej4

Re: Nothing on execute command
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »
What you are seeing may be just normal behavior, if your program does no console I/O. For example, if your program opens and reads some files, does some calculations and writes to another set of files, and all this happens in about the same duration as a mouse-click, you may incorrectly think that "nothing happens". To see if this guess is true, put a

PAUSE 'I am done'

statement just before the end of your program, build and run.

Jules.Thibault

Nothing on execute command
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion. I already put as the first line of the program: PRINT *, 'ENTERING' but it does not even get there. This program worked for some time before and suddenly it did not. It is possible to build it as usual but when I execute it, it is like I did nothing. I have two programs that act this way while the others work very well. I do not know what to do since there are no messages or other indications to orient my search for a solution.

Any other suggestions are most welcomed.

mecej4

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
If you can provide an abbreviated example program source with this behavior, one of the readers or Absoft support may be able to help. Alternatively, you could recompile with checks enabled to see if that turns up a fixable problem.

Jules.Thibault

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »
Thank you for the answer. I am sure there is something wrong I must be doing but I do not know what it is. I have two cases:

(1) The program worked well for some time giving expected results. Then, one day, the program built correctly as usual but upon the execute command it did nothing. This weekend, I restarted to make a new project with the same program in a new folder and the same program that did not work was now working. I followed the same procedure to build a project as I did before as per instructions in the documentation. Hopefully this program will now work all the time.

(2) I have one program that worked for more than two months on my laptop. My student took it to make calculation of her own. We used the same procedure to make a new project and add the same file. It also built perfectly but on the execute command it does nothing. I suspect I must do something different but I cannot see what.

It was suggested to add a compiler option for checksums in the build command. I do not know how to do it. Is it in the make file that is created with the build command. I am new to this system so that I only used so far the button command on the project window.

Thank you for your help.

mecej4

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
The symptoms that you have listed suggest that your program may be using values of variables before those values are defined.

When I suggested using compiler options to check the code, I had in mind options to check bounds, argument consistency, etc. You can find them in the compiler user guide (p.50 for the 2017 version). One such option is -Rb, to check bounds.

This has nothing to do with computing checksums -- those are usually used along with the file size to guard against files being damaged in transfer or being tampered with by malicious persons. Checksums are not needed when compiling and executing are performed by a trustyworthy person (such as oneself!).

Jules.Thibault

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
Thank you for the comments and help. I succeeded to make them run.

The first one, I just restarted a new project with the same program in a different folder and for some reasons it worked. It had worked for some time successfully. One day it compiled corrected but refuse to execute.

The second one, the execute button on the ABSoft Fortran Window did not work as well but if the program is started from the file with the *.exe it did work.

It remains very mysterious to me with occasional loss of time and frustration but at the end it worked.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  Nothing on execute command

gfxgfx
gfx gfx