gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1617 Posts in 535 Topics by 779 Members - Latest Member: rhoronjeff@comcast.net November 27, 2022, 07:41:44 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  General  |  REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE  (Read 4468 times)

Mark Coxhead

REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE
« on: February 25, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »

REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE

Hello I am trying to remove Absoft software from my hard-drive, however, Absoft does not appear in the list of items on the install/de-install section of the control panel.   

The reason why I need to do this is that I with to re-install from the installation disc, however when you load from the disc (version 10.00.07) you encounter a message that the software is already installed, and the operation cannot proceed.   If you rename the Absoft10 folder to XAbsoft10 you still encounter the message, and I assume the installation process must interrogate an entry in the Registry?

I need to undertake a re-installation as the version of Absoft (10.00.08) is a specially adapted version to run on an old chip that does not have SSE2 instruction set support.      The p/c has now been upgraded to a more modern 2.8 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 that presumably is supported by SSE2, and therefore I wish to run with the pure “vanilla” 10.00.08 (the later being downloaded from the Absoft support web-site, once the install of 10.00.07 is complete). 

The question is how to I de-install Absoft software please?

Hope this makes sense.

forumadmin

• Administrator
Re: REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:59 AM »
Since it's not showing up in Add/Remove Programs, it looks like you've got damaged InstallShield installation data. The installer itself should offer to uninstall, but since it's not, that looks like more evidence for damaged data. You'll have to manually uninstall it. To do that, contact support@absoft.com with the compiler version and your version of Windows. They will be able to point you to the InstallShield data and registry entries to delete and allow you to start over.

Mark Coxhead

Re: REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »
Thank you.

Overnight, I thought the matter through.    Re-installing Absoft 10.00.08 from scratch would have meant having to merge in the changes to a heavily tailored MRWE.

When I originally installed the patch to handle non-SSE2 instruction support I had the foresight to preserve the original files, hence afio.lib --> afio_orig.lib,  afiodll.lib --> afiodll_orig.lib, and afiodll.dll --> afiodll_orig.dll, and so I just renamed them back.

The original purpose of this patch was so FLOATING point arithmetic would work with a 800Mhz processor (non SSE2 supported).      So far, it appears that with reinstating the original three files specified above floating point arithmetic is working fine.    One of the applications I have tested, has a lot of linear algebra and I believe would have failed in a spectacular fashion if this hypothesis had not been true.

I thought I would let you know just in case you had a team of programmers at support on tenterhooks expecting my email!

Thank you very much again.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  General  |  REMOVING ABSOFT SOFTWARE

gfxgfx
gfx gfx