gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1617 Posts in 535 Topics by 779 Members - Latest Member: rhoronjeff@comcast.net December 02, 2022, 09:15:28 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  General  |  ARE THE VMS/VAX AND UNIX LIBRARIES MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ARE THE VMS/VAX AND UNIX LIBRARIES MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?  (Read 9529 times)

Frances Rose Bauckham

ARE THE VMS/VAX AND UNIX LIBRARIES MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »
ARE THE VMS/VAX AND UNIX LIBRARIES MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE IN ABSOFT VERSION 10.0?

I have got several hundred legacy programs that were originally converted from mainframe running and have been converted to run under Absoft 5.0 for sometime now.

Currently upgrading to Absoft 10.0.   Presently my programs call a number of the “system” modules that are contained within both the VMS/VAX and UNIX support libraries.
As follows:

VMS LIBRARY
  idate (extensively)
  ran

UNIX LIBRARY
  gerror (most useful)
  getcwd
  rename

In Absoft 10.0 having ticked the boxes for “Use VMS/VAX Library” and selected the UCS Unix Library, I get the error message that IDATE and TIME have been defined in both VAX and UNIX, which is unacceptable.

This would seem to indicate that you either use the VMS OR UNIX libraries but not both?   As the UNIX library is more comprehensive it would make sense to use this, however, some functions in the VMS library, like RAN do not appear in the UNIX library.  RAND in the Unix library is a slightly different function to generates random numbers.  The new “idate” function in the Unix library has a different calling mechanism (by array), which could require extensively reworking of original logic if I opted for the Unix library.

Mike Linacre

Re: ARE THE VMS/VAX AND UNIX LIBRARIES MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:22:52 PM »
Do Absoft supply the source code for the UNIX and VAX libraries with Absoft 10.0? If so, how about compiling your own custom library? Or how about using the Absoft 5.0 libraries?

mecej4

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »
Using the LIB.EXE utility, it is possible to extract the desired .OBJ files from the static library files; using the same utility, the extracted .OBJ files can be combined to create a custom library for your use.

Alternatively, you may use the /force:multiple option of the linker, which will have the effect of choosing the version that appears in the library searched earlier, ignoring the versions seen later.

TDaMoose

Can I use VAV/VMS libraries in a Macintosh Fortran source program
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 04:35:59 AM »
The title states the question. I have several VAX library callss in an old source program that I am trying to rerun.

forumadmin

• Administrator
Re: Can I use VAV/VMS libraries in a Macintosh Fortran source program
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »
The title states the question. I have several VAX library callss in an old source program that I am trying to rerun.

Yes. If you are using AbsoftTools for project management, select Default Tool Options from the Project menu and click in the VAX/VMS library check box. If you are using the command line, add -lV77 to your compile command.

Mike Linacre

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:07 PM »
Joshua, please email support at Absoft.com.
They will want to know your Absoft version and serial number.
Your OS version.
And a screen-shot of the program crash so they can see exactly what you see.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  General  |  ARE THE VMS/VAX AND UNIX LIBRARIES MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx