gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1617 Posts in 535 Topics by 779 Members - Latest Member: rhoronjeff@comcast.net December 04, 2022, 09:05:53 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  General  |  What will happen to Absoft intellectual property?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What will happen to Absoft intellectual property?  (Read 346 times)

Beliavsky

What will happen to Absoft intellectual property?
« on: October 08, 2022, 10:59:20 AM »
Absoft has decided to close, presumably because the people behind it have decided that expected future revenues are less than labor and other costs. That does not mean Absoft's intellectual property -- its compilers and associated libraries -- have no value. Many Fortranners are still coding to Fortran 95 or even earlier versions of the language.

Has Absoft considered making its compilers freely available for download, of course without any expectation of support? Or to sell its compilers to someone who would do this? It would be sad if Absoft's compilers just disappeared. Silverfrost Fortran has only a few features beyond Fortran 95, and a free personal edition is available. Lahey's latest compilers are wrappers of gfortran, but they are still selling them.

I was a former customer of Absoft, having purchased Absoft Fortran 8.2 for Windows years ago.

evvaletov

Re: What will happen to Absoft intellectual property?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 04:55:35 PM »
I would really hope they make the compilers available again, for a price or for free. I was merely a few weeks late with buying a compiler from them.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  General  |  What will happen to Absoft intellectual property?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx