gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
1516 Posts in 502 Topics by 733 Members - Latest Member: tbickel3 October 29, 2020, 01:33:30 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  Can't Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Can't Build  (Read 807 times)

BK

Can't Build
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:55:14 PM »
I have a demo version of Absoft 20.0 and am trying to create a new project using F77 source files that were successfully built using Absoft 6.0 (I know, 6.0 is ancient but that's what the company currently has). When trying to build with 20.0, I get:

Begin Build
amake2: don't know how to make "<path>/file.for" (continuing)

Under the Errors/Warnings tab, there are no msgs included. This occurs for both the release and debug options. And I followed the Getting Started and Gino readmelite.htm help.

BTW, I had to add "_Main" to the name of the file with the Program statement, otherwise I got an error.

The goal is use 20.0 and Gino to build GUIs for existing legacy applications. Any ideas on getting 20.0 to work?

mecej4

Re: Can't Build
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:02:36 AM »
You will have to provide more specific details regarding what you did before you ran into problems.

I created a new project, added a number of F77 source files that I wanted to build an EXE with, built a release version EXE, and saw no errors in Absofttools.

Check if the source file with the main program has a PROGRAM line at the top.

If you are using an old project file, perhaps you can move it elsewhere and create a new project using just your sources.

If all this fails, post a link to a zip file with the sources and someone may build for you a project file.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:07:10 AM by mecej4 »

BK

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »
Still cannot Build even though I've made a test project with two simple f77 routines. Syntax in each of these is OK, and the main source has PROGRAM in the first line. The ProFORTRAN 20 UG sez that MAKEFLAGS is an environment variable that is read and processed. However, MAKEFLAGS was not set during installation. How can this be recovered? I've already installed 20.0 a 2nd time, so that's not a fix.

BK

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »
According to the ProFORTRAN UG, "Each time you run amake2, ... the MAKEFLAGS variable ... defines the command-line options available to amake2 and is usually defined as an environment variable." So MAKEFLAGS is important for amake2. However, I suspect the demo version of Absoft 20 doesn't load MAKEFLAGS into the registry. It's not in the registry or anywhere else on my machine (BTW, gino environment variables were loaded into the registry).

MECEJ4, you were able to build an exe because your machine already has MAKEFLAGS. Maybe one of the Absoft folks could install the demo version of Absoft 20 on a brand-new machine to see if the build issue is duplicated.

I have until Apr. 16 when my temp license expires. I sure don't want to buy a copy of Absoft 20 until this issue is resolved.

mecej4

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:35:26 AM »
No, on my PC there is no entry containing MAKEFLAGS in the registry, the system environment, the local environment in the Absoft development command window, or in the make* files generated by the Absoft tools when building from the GUI tools.

BK

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »
So then the ProFORTRAN UG is worthless.

How do you explain that Absoft 20 won't even compile two 9-line source files, much less build?

forumadmin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 06:25:05 PM »
In response to the original post, it not clear how you are building your application although it seems like you might be using the AbsoftTools IDE with an external makefile?  I suggest you email Absoft Technical Support at support@absoft.com for further help getting started. Include as many details as possible concerning how you are creating the project. If is possible, also include a small example the reproduces the problem.

Absoft User Forum  |  Support  |  Windows  |  Can't Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx